Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Of Storms and Trials: Hope isn't Dead


Have you ever found yourself stuck in a situation that seems to have no end in sight? Like a powerful storm that blocks all of the light, it swallows hope and seems to last forever. I have found that comparing the trials in my life to storms can be the most effective way to voice how I've felt in those moments. 

Like storms, trials I've encountered (and still am) are always hard, and often very dark. Sometimes I even forget what blue skies look like. In those times of darkness, I have a tendency to panic, and look at the lightning and rain instead of God. The storm sure seems more real then God does, doesn't it? 

That's because I've been fixing my eyes on the wrong target. Instead of looking at what seems to be doom, I have to force myself to keep my eyes focused on Him. More times then not, it feels like flying blind, unable to see the ground or any landmark to guide my way.  

But honestly? It is in those moments that I've grown the most in my faith. 

The world we live in is filled with noise. It's hard to hear God's still, small voice inside us when we're focused on the static of chaos instead of the steady promise of His Word. Because newsflash, when God tells us to "be still", He isn't talking about literally freezing in place and not even breathing. He's talking about a lifestyle. 

Two days ago, a terrible storm hit Lynchburg, Va, where my school, Liberty University is located. Rarely do the storm sirens sound, but that day, I heard them wailing through the dark skies at least four times. I had known we were going to get bad weather, but I didn't know how bad it would be. As the weather moved in and the sirens continued to sound, we were issued a tornado warning. 

I probably didn't take it as seriously as I should have. We never have had a tornado near Liberty in the last three years of my time attending the school, so why worry? Well, we didn't have a tornado touch down on campus and destroy anything (thank God) but the community of Lynchburg did. 

As I watched videos of destroyed buildings, shattered glass, and crushed vehicles, my heart hurt for my community. While I was safe indoors, fairly certain that nothing bad was going to happen, there were people huddled in their homes hoping to survive the storm. 

The storm finally passed, and the sun was once again seen in the sky, but the light revealed a saddening truth. Some were without homes, and others had their stores and businesses damaged. What could be done? Thankfully, I am proud to go to a college full of missionaries for Christ. This upcoming Saturday, Liberty University will join with our community in an event called Serve Lynchburg. Thousands of Liberty students and faculty, including myself, will reach out to the community in their time of need and help rebuild what was lost. 

You see, we ourselves may not be experiencing a storm of devastating proportion, but we never know who is. Whether it is a very real, physical storm, or an internal one, we as Christians are called to help those who are less fortunate then us, and be and hands and feet of Jesus. 

While some of this may sound cliche, it still doesn't change the fact that it is true. When I have been in some of the most terrible storms of my life, the people who got down in the trenches with me and weathered the onslaught are the ones to whom I owe so much. Why wouldn't I do the same for them? Or for a stranger I don't know? 

I believe God places us in the path of divine opportunities. And quite frankly, it's not about us. While we sure will grow out of those sort of situations, the honor and glory goes to God. We must be willing to serve Him in any capacity, even if it isn't easy. 

As my best friend told me a year ago, "fair weather never made for strong feathers." It's a quote that has stuck with me since then, and I feel it is appropriate to share with you all. When storms rise and darkness seems final, never forget that hope is stronger then fear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Warriors of Aragnar isn't Gone and Neither am I!

  This. Has. Been. A. Year. I have wanted to write so much on this blog over the past months. So, so, many things have taken place. In many ...