Thursday, January 22, 2015

Piercing the Darkness, a Young Adult’s View of our Culture

When the culture we inhabit is mentioned in conversation, it usually takes a dark tone. If the youth of our generation are brought up, that mood will usually get darker. “Let’s face it,” they’ll say, “things have gotten worse and they’ll probably continue to do so. Why are we fooling ourselves with any other fantasy?”
I’ll be quick to admit that like most people, I have fallen for such a conversation. Just look around; it won’t take long for you to see some of the many problems that are festering in our society. Racial violence, drug abuse, premature pregnancies, fatherless homes…the list goes on and on. The tide of lawlessness is ebbing ever closer, and sometimes you can’t help but wonder if there is anything we can do to stop it. Is there a chance for things to ever get better, or are we simply prolonging the inevitable?
The answer to that question is clouded, and it certainly depends on whom you ask. Gloom and despair are more commonly evoked than optimism and hope, and given recent events that have continued to ravage our country, it shows no signs of slowing, and even less of stopping. Anger is a more common emotion than any other, and it is more than a surface issue. After all, anger is an outward expression of an inward problem, and it is a problem that must be dealt with, and soon.
In this case, if you were to ask me, my response may surprise you. I’ve been a Virginia native all of my life, and I am well aware of the problems that plague our country and our city. I’m also a Christian, an occupation that is becoming increasingly unpopular, not to mention “intolerant” in the eyes of others. You may be wondering why this is important, and I’ll explain. We live in a faulted culture, one that is crumbling at the edges and breaking at the seams. Those who wish to see order restored fight tooth and nail to do something about it, and there are those who fight equally hard to see it destroyed. It is a battle of sorts, but not one fought with physical weapons. It is a battle of ideas, a battle that is not so easily won. Amidst the clash of ideals and political correctness a small voice calls to any who will stop and listen, any who yearn for more.
What exactly is more? Deep down inside of every person, there is a longing for more than what this life can offer. A longing for justice and righteousness to prevail. I’m not simply talking about governmental justice, even though that does play a part. I’m talking about true justice that can only be brought by the Creator of justice, and the universe at large. 
            Yes, there are problems in this world and in our culture, but I have hope. There is indeed evil in this world, and there are bad people who do bad things, things that make us cringe in despair, unable to understand how such things can be committed. But there is also good, and it is that light that pierces the darkness and gives me hope for the future.
            Last summer I, along with hundreds of others, traveled to Detroit to help those who have less than myself. While not in Richmond specifically, I saw many issues that are the same as our own, and it felt liberating to be able to do something about it. After seeing so many people touched by our acts of kindness, I am convinced that there is hope, and that all is not lost. Those people saw the light of Jesus and were forever changed. They will never be the same, and neither will I. 
            I firmly believe that there is hope for this world, this country, and our city. This hope is only found through Jesus Christ, for it is only through Him that we have any hope at all. I have witnessed people my age and older rise up and make a difference in the lives of people they don’t even know, I have seen the love of Jesus change them and restore lives that have been abandoned. I have seen the loving arms of Jesus reach out through us and forever impact the lives of people I may never see again, and yet I know are as dear to His heart as anyone else.
            That is the light that pierces the darkness, and that is the hope that I hold on to. It is a change of perspective that once you have, you never can see things the same way again. I have hope for our culture because I have hope in God, I know that all will be made right, and while we are on this earth, it is our responsibility to bring the change. So next time, instead of standing around and talking about our problems, make the decision to step to the plate and do something about it yourself. Even the smallest act of kindness can make the biggest impact in someone’s life, and that is what it is all about.

            It is time for us to get off of the sidelines and be actively engaged in the bettering of our country. If we don’t like what we see, than we must be the ones to do something about it. If we do not, than I do fear what may come. But I will not fear, because I know that whether it comes today or tomorrow, change is in the wind, and it is a true change that is for good, and not ill. That is the prevailing light I hold on to, and it is a light that no darkness in this world can destroy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Warriors of Aragnar isn't Gone and Neither am I!

  This. Has. Been. A. Year. I have wanted to write so much on this blog over the past months. So, so, many things have taken place. In many ...