Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Self-Constructed Prison: A Poem

We all deal with struggles of many kinds, some personal, and some beyond our control. More often then not, I've found that I throw myself into problems I'd be without if I didn't dwell on things I shouldn't. I've a feeling that many of us do that, in one way or another, and even though that doesn't justify my own actions, it's nice to know that I'm not alone. Once we realize that we're trapped in prisons of our own making, perhaps we can emerge into the freedom Jesus died for us to have. We all have idols of sorts that we must choose to let go of, in order to give God His rightful place in our lives. After all, without his saving grace, what awaits humanity other then the fires of hell?

Every cut to your heart,
The festering wounds grow.
Watch every stitch rip apart,
Everything I used to know. 

Haven't you bled enough?
Or is crimson the new banner.
Can't you see you're a diamond in the rough?
Or is your mind just a haunted manor.

Of all the faults you see as icons,
The mirrors sometimes lie.
In a world of blinded pawns,
Where pain is kept alive.

In a heart where only hope should be,
But how can we fight through the web
That tangles us into a killing spree?
How our faulty emotions drift and ebb.

So far away from the hope we truly need,
Yet closer to our faults then we'd like. 
How is it that we watch the sin breed,
Against our wavering will, ready to strike?

How can we be so ignorant,
Oh who we were born to be?
Why can't we just be different,
Instead of a clone of humanity?

Yet we choose to be the sinner,
When we were born to be the saint.
Our blood keeps running thinner,
When will we ever find the taint?

Instead we choose comfortability,
In our little selfish worlds of pain.
Nothing but a false illusion of mimicry,
What on earth are we trying to obtain?

Our pitted hearts cannot be filled,
By the trappings of our fractured world.
Our actions cannot pay off the bill,
When the debtor comes undeterred.

Only the Savior wrapped in crimson,
Can dare to pay the weighty price.
To free our souls from this prison,
That we ourselves have idolized.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Warriors of Aragnar isn't Gone and Neither am I!

  This. Has. Been. A. Year. I have wanted to write so much on this blog over the past months. So, so, many things have taken place. In many ...