Sunday, July 16, 2017

To Illustrate a Fantasy World: The Advantage of Designing One's Own Charaters













As the illustrations above suggest, I spend an awful lot of time designing and depicting the plethora of characters that inhabit the massive world of my novels. While this is no small undertaking, it is the triumph and testimony of an artist who always wanted to create digital art. Without God's wisdom and guidance, I honestly don't know how I'd be able to do what I do, considering that I'm largely self-taught.

Several years ago, I never would have thought I'd ever create digital paintings on programs such as Adobe Photoshop. Actually, I would have told you that you were crazy. You see, even though I had potential, I never thought I'd have the ability to create art that stunning. It was only until I decided to try, despite my fears, that I discovered I have a natural knack for it. Funny how life works.

And then, my childhood dream of becoming a published author suddenly was becoming a reality. I was so excited, but then I realized something critical; I need a cover for the book! So began my journey to where I am now, and even though I've come a long way from that first digital painting, I look back fondly in thankfulness.

Even though I still have much to learn, and I look forward to my future art classes at Liberty University, I am so thankful that God gave me the ability to not only write stories, but bring them  to further life through art. It simply is fun to do, and there's nothing better then being able to design characters exactly how you imagine them looking.

Regardless of whether I could draw my characters or not, it is wonderful to pen a tale filled with characters with real life problems, struggles, and fears. They also have hopes and dreams, and honestly, that's why I love to write. I love showing characters not as unrealistic one-sided fakes, but as real people. If a reader cannot relate with an author's characters, then the story is pointless. Without strong character development, your story will only go so far. And for me, that partially comes through hours of character design. Whether that may be pages of sketches, paintings, and notes, or a quick scene, I've found countless ways to bring my characters to vivid life.

Have you ever felt like you have a story to tell? Perhaps you have the talent to create awesome art? No matter your interests, don't let anyone tell you that you can't use those gifts in the future. God gave them to you for a reason, and never forget that! Do what you do best, because no matter the critics or the naysayers, God created you to rise to the occasion He knew you'd be born to fulfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Warriors of Aragnar isn't Gone and Neither am I!

  This. Has. Been. A. Year. I have wanted to write so much on this blog over the past months. So, so, many things have taken place. In many ...