Sunday, January 21, 2018

Never Surrender, The Brilliance of Darkest Hour


I have always found WW2 era films fascinating. There has always been something about that specific period in history that has intrigued me, and that has never changed over the years. Perhaps it begun largely due to my upbringing, in which my grandfather would often tell me stories of his time in the war in the navy and coast guard. It's no surprise that I grew to become quite the storyteller myself, even though I'm still convinced his tales would (and will) always hold a certain gravity of truth over my fictional ones.

Regardless, I've found that fiction can be a powerful tool to represent the truth, and the power of story is quite unchallenged in its results. The new film Darkest Hour certainly supports this idea, and while it is grounded in more historical facts then fiction, it still is a tale nonetheless. And my, what a compelling tale it is.

Following the story of Winston Churchill's rise to the title of Prime Minister, it is a very different film, in the sense that it is not a war movie by regular standards. However, it represents a war of ideals just as tense as the very real battles hovering ominously in the near distance...the looming threat of Nazi Germany's relentless war machine.

I couldn't help but think of Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk when watching Darkest Hour. Set at the same time of the war, both films could be easily intertwined. It shows the 'behind the scenes' struggle of a leader who faced tremendous opposition as he struggled to do what he believed was right. Indeed, I could easily watch Dunkirk right after, and the two films would blend almost seamlessly. For like Dunkirk, Darkest Hour is a true piece of art. The way they filmed it is unique, and their creativeness quickly stood out to me. From the camera angles to the slightest muting of color, the movie felt timeless.

The acting was impeccable, and Gary Oldman's Churchill was highly believable. To accompany such a wonderful story, the score was beautifully floating, if sometimes haunting, and maintained an ever present atmosphere of sadness, suspense, and triumph. I will definitely purchase this movie when it is released, as I will want to watch it again. While we (thankfully) are not experiencing such dire circumstances in our time, it wouldn't be far-fetched to say that we still have our own battles to wage. And in those battles, we face the terrible risk of becoming lost in hopelessness.

In one particular scene that really stood out to me, Churchill found himself questioning his beliefs, and seeking answers in a different manner then he previously had. He spoke to some of the people, common men and women who had lived under the shadows of war. What he received was a message of defiance, and in a way, a charge to press onward in the fight. Renewed of purpose and once again ready to take on his enemies, Churchill pressed onward despite great odds.

As a Christian, I too have faced discouragement and trials. I've had days when I didn't know how I was going to make it, or if I had the strength to press on. But like Churchill, I've had those 'underground moments' when God has placed people and experiences at pivotal times in my life to encourage me to keep fighting, to never surrender.

Films like Darkest Hour are truly masterpieces in their own right, allowing a glimpse into the tumultuous past with hopes that it can touch our own hearts. Days can indeed be dark, and our own world needs to be reminded of the past, so that we dare not repeat it.

Oftentimes I fear that we forget too much history, and regain not enough facts. We look at history as simply such; history...we forget those pages were inked in blood. It is too easy to lose the humanity of the past...and in doing so, we lost not only the humanity of the present, but a desensitization of humanity itself.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Warriors of Aragnar isn't Gone and Neither am I!

  This. Has. Been. A. Year. I have wanted to write so much on this blog over the past months. So, so, many things have taken place. In many ...