Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Loss of a Legend: A Time for Rejoicing, and a Call for Action


I was understandably saddened when I woke up this morning to the news of Rev. Billy Graham's passing. At 99 years, his was a life well lived, and I have no doubt that all of heaven in rejoicing in one incredible welcome home ceremony. While I never had the opportunity to meet him or hear him speak in person, I, as many millions of people, have been impacted by his preaching and his incredible testimony.

As I often do in times such as this, I found myself pondering on the world we live in, as well as the future ahead. As many of the great pastors, reformers, and revolutionaries have left this world, I've at times been left with a saddened sense of loss, as well as a somewhat odd feeling of helplessness. What are we to do, when those who held the reins are gone? Are we truly ready to take the steering wheel in our own hands and drive this vehicle into a future of success?

Many would say it is already impossible, and honestly, even the most ardent idealist still struggles with feelings of fear and doubt. What can we, the rising generation, do with a broken machine called the government, a fractured economy, and tense relations both domestic and foreign? Worse yet, Christianity itself is often viewed with skepticism and distrust, leaving many places atheistic, antagonistic, and alone. Is there even any hope? I'll admit, I've asked those questions more often then I'd like to voice, and there certainly have been times when optimism wasn't on my mental radar.

Yes, there are many things that are broken and in need of repair. It's very easy to look at these situations, shake our heads, and lose hope. How could it not be difficult when all the greats of the past have, and will, leave us someday? Who will be left to preach the truth, uphold morality, and live in righteousness?

As I was pondering these questions this morning, I began to talk to God. "I sure hope you know what you're doing," I had thought. "Are you raising any new great ministers and leaders, or have the 'glory days' passed completely by? Was I simply born too late?"

While these questions are valid, even as I spoke them, the truth hit me with a weighty certainty. If God could raise the humble giants of times past, why couldn't He do so now? Our world is not so broken that God, in all His might and loving grace, cannot raise new leaders to shape it and bring the lost to Christ. It was then that I told God something in a different manner then I'd ever previously said, "Well, if no-one else will do anything, then please use me in any way you see fit. If there's anything I can do, I want to do it."

Of course, I've said similar things to God before, but this time, it didn't seem so casual. I meant it, and I wasn't thinking about myself or my own longing for success. It was then that it all made sense. The people who God uses are never the ones who the world would qualify. And I bet that many of those earthly heroes who were humble before God said the very same thing at one point, or several, in their lives. God doesn't call the qualified, but He qualifies the called.

All we can do is live our lives for Him, strive to become more and more like Jesus, and pray for a revival in this hurting world. If no-one else will make a stand, then we must take the first step. I promise you, you are NOT alone. I know for a fact that I am not the only person existing on this planet who would stand for God's Word, but even if I were, would I still stand nonetheless? I pray so. As the days roll by into years, I pray that we, the body of Christ worldwide, will indeed uphold what is right and true until the very end.

I thought it fitting to end this post with one of Billy Graham's quotes, one that has stirred my heart and encouraged me for years.

"Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Warriors of Aragnar isn't Gone and Neither am I!

  This. Has. Been. A. Year. I have wanted to write so much on this blog over the past months. So, so, many things have taken place. In many ...