Thursday, February 1, 2018

Shattered Perceptions: The Mirrors of Lies



Have you ever looked back on your life, and remembered a specific time or event that stood as a milestone of change? Just in case you're wondering, those milestones don't have to be good memories, I certainly know mine haven't always been. Regardless of being classified as 'good' or 'bad', these milestone moments can serve a tremendous purpose.

Personally, I've found that I can often be so future-minded or goal-focused that I fail to see any growth in my life. It's as if I'm trying to catch up to a future version of myself who doesn't actually exist. I place this preconceived snapshot of who I think I should be on a pedestal, and look upon it with envy and desire. Then, I catch myself saying things like, "if only I were like this," or "I wish I was braver/smarter/etc...", and when I fall into that pit, I quickly begin to attack my qualities, erroneously believing that I'm not good enough. Whether or not this has happened to you, I can tell you from experience that it is one poisonous cycle. And it all began when I elevated my desire for success above God. 

In those moments of clouded clarity, it is then that I must recall a milestone of times past. Many years ago, my family and I went to the state fair, and during our day, there was one room that always stuck with me, for whatever reason. It was a room filled with mirrors of all kinds, presenting odd and distorted reflections of those who peered on their shining surfaces. Now that I look back at that seemingly random, meaningless memory, I have realized that there was more depth to it then I had previously surmised. 

Being the deceiving liar that he is, our enemy wants nothing more then to distract us from our callings, and throw us into cages of our own making. He wants to distort our identities and keep us trapped, believing that we are nothing more than what those lies dictate. Very much like that room of mirrors, he wants to keep us locked inside, surrounded by falsehood, deceit, and trickery. And you want to know the sad truth? Many times, he succeeds. 

Yes, you heard me right. He succeeds. Whether it is a lack of self-confidence, a poor self-image, or many other roaring doubts and fears, the enemy is not lacking in the tools of his trade. We often, as I unfortunately have in times past, become so confused and disorientated by those twisted lies presented as truths, that we actually believe them to BE truth. What makes it worse is the crippling defeat and misery that sets in, very much like a physical sickness. 

The door to the mirrors of lies is unlocked, and we can walk out, free from the snares of deception. But in order to do so, we must first recognize that what we see are lies to begin with. The danger of deception is that it can often be presented in the most convincing of ways. Like a fishhook, what is dangerous is hidden by something seemingly pleasant, not fully revealed until it is too late. To best describe this sad situation, I often use a reasonably sad analogy of an abused dog in a cage.

Hurt and abandoned, the animal doesn't trust a soul, and has come to find its cage as a place of security. It will be safe, it thinks, as long as it hides inside. Forget the fact that it will eventually starve, and that life in the cage is terrible. If it doesn't leave the cage, it believes that it won't be hurt again, even though staying in the cage is essentially a death sentence. Despite this belief, the door to the cage has actually been opened, and a kindly veterinarian is trying to coax the dog out, in order to restore it to good health, and give it a new chance at life.

Even though this person means the dog no harm, the animal doesn't know the difference between pain and love at this point. It will growl, bark, and snap its jaws at the very person who wants to be its savior. Like the dog, we often lock ourselves up in 'cages' and live our lives in fear. When God comes to save us, we mistake his outstretched hand for a club, and refuse to budge from the very thing that is actually our prison.

Fortunately, this story does not have to have an unhappy ending. With enough patience and love, the dog will learn to trust, and will finally leave its cage so it can heal. While by no means comparing people to dogs, the connection lies in the lack of trust, as well as the fear of danger. We seek freedom from deception, and thankfully, we can find true salvation through Christ, who is the only one who can free us from what binds us. 

The sword of the Spirit severs lie from truth, and lays all that is hidden in shadow in the light. The room of mirrors, though it is twisted and deceptive, does not hold power over a child of God. His Word, like that blade, can shatter the mirrors and bring those faulty perceptions low. One day, I want to look back at this time in my life, and see faith, not confusion. Our milestones shouldn't be our faults, they should point to our victories, and it all starts when we recognize that we often raise lies on pedestals of our own crafting, instead of leaving that honor to God alone.


(Photo found on google images, not my picture!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Warriors of Aragnar isn't Gone and Neither am I!

  This. Has. Been. A. Year. I have wanted to write so much on this blog over the past months. So, so, many things have taken place. In many ...