Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Afterglow: A Poem Inspired by my Books

"Afterglow" was inspired by the story of Nula Swiftblade, the adoptive brother of Leah Sunstrider. Their story is told in The Peace Keepers Chronicles; soon to be released. 
More details coming soon!


You were always ahead of your time,
Standing so strong, gaze set forward.
The fiery heart, consuming your mind.

I always slipped behind, never ahead,
I watch you rise, unafraid of the night.
Yes, here I hide from my demons instead.

You slip from my gaze, a new day,
I'm trying to fight, but audacity,
Isn't what strikes me as I slip away.

Can't you see your fire is what I lack?
Do you notice the hurt dancing inside,
Drowned in the hope that I want back?

You fight so hard; eyes aflame, you strive,
Pain is a familiarity, rejection my friend.
I try to rise, but in the end, I'm barely alive.

Please don't misunderstand my pain,
For selfish need, I'm no-one's leech. 
My God, I just want to feel again.

So take your destiny in your hands,
Ride the wind upon broad wings.
Fearless, bring healing to our land.

I'll always follow in your great shadow,
Crippled but fighting, ever your rear guard.
I'm not whole, but I swear, I'm caught up in your afterglow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Warriors of Aragnar isn't Gone and Neither am I!

  This. Has. Been. A. Year. I have wanted to write so much on this blog over the past months. So, so, many things have taken place. In many ...