Sunday, March 26, 2017

Tale (Not So) Old as (Modern) Time

Few films I have seen this year have left me with as many mixed emotions as Disney's live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast. Even if the controversy swirling among Christian circles had never occurred, I'm fairly certain I would have left the theater feeling exactly the same. However, because the controversy did take place and posed very real concerns, I went into the film with my guard warily raised, for after what I heard, how could I not?  

First and foremost, I want to state that my intention is not to simply bash the film. As with most movies, there were indeed some parts that I found incredibly impressive, in particular the "be our guest" sequence, which was breathtakingly gorgeous in cinematography and scope. However, I cannot say that it was an excellent film as a whole. 

I won't lie, as soon as the movie began, and the first notes of the swirling score played, I felt a rush of nostalgia as childhood memories of the original animated film hearkened to mind. Due to the original being a particular favorite of mine, it was truly wonderful as the scenes unfolded quite similarly. The introduction of new story material provided more meat to the story's bones, which I found encouraging. Right from the beginning, I was given the impression that I was in for a visual feast, and the worries I had previously held almost faded away. 

Almost. After a few hiccups and blunders in the plot, I began to see a common vein in the story, a vein that was honestly frustrating. As a fantasy author, I completely understand the need to expand stories to give them many layers of complexity and intrigue. I myself have the desire to tell an original tale with as much creativity as I can muster, and I also entirely relate with the great struggle it can be to succeed. The film was audacious in their method, but ultimately failed in its scope. I was given the impression that the creators were almost self-conscious about the additions to the plot, and felt as if they had to drive the intended point home several times. Because of this, plot holes deepened, possible connections were lost, and the story left me wanting.

Visually, it was bold and rich; a true masterpiece. The dance sequences were fantastic, and the singers' voices rose with beautiful clarity. The score was beautifully made, and added the punching emotion that the film required. Yet, my concerns of the beast's appearance were sadly confirmed to be valid, and I found it hard to accept his 'werewolf' and goat-like design. His 'tameness' was simply confusing, and he just didn't seem as beast-like as the original, which I preferred. 

Which leads me to my last, but most important concerns regarding the film. Despite the attempt to give the film a semi-historical feeling, I never truly felt as if I were seeing a glimpse into the small, provincial French village they wanted to create. To be honest, the movie carried such a modern, progressive vibe that couldn't be ignored, and was entirely out of place. If modern storytelling could be accused of a particular fault, it would be that current issues are often pasted on top of a tale that wasn't the best platform to promote the ideal. This couldn't have a better example then the 'gay story-line' that combated with Belle's adventure. Not only was it entirely unnecessary and added nothing to the story, it was simply bad storytelling. I understand that the issue is a big topic in our culture, but Disney's ploy to essentially place such controversial views in a children's film is entirely ridiculous. As a Christian, I believe that it isn't right to promote anything that blatantly goes against God's Word, and considering how some of the cast has handled the situation makes me feel even more repulsed.  

Overall, it is a film I probably won't watch again, and I certainly won't purchase it when it is released on DVD. No, I haven't made this choice simply because of the gay content, even though that certainly was a factor. It simply was not the best remake of a story cherished by many, and in my opinion the live-action remake didn't top the original by any means. It was largely disappointing, despite my expectations never being that high to begin with. 

If you want my advice, use discretion before walking in the theater. If your children want to watch Beauty and the Beast, I'd recommend the original animated film where the characters aren't as confusing and the heart of the story shines though, surely as the sun will rise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Warriors of Aragnar isn't Gone and Neither am I!

  This. Has. Been. A. Year. I have wanted to write so much on this blog over the past months. So, so, many things have taken place. In many ...